Though small in size, mini-treats can deliver a big message to the Valentines on your list. With a little help from Wilton, the maker of many heart-shaped baking pans, you can bake to your heart’s desire this Valentine’s Day.
Make your own candies using shaped candy molds. Choose hearts, lips, flowers and more. Fill the mold with the candy, color and flavor of your choice, and watch as you melt the hearts of your Valentines.
Find many more Valentine’s Day recipes and baking tips at wilton.com.
Chocolate Heart Petit Fours
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 6 Tb 3/4 stick butter, softened
- 2/3 cup firmly-packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup peanut butter chocolate fudge ice cream topping or cherry pie filling
- 2 containers 14 oz. each chocolate or vanilla Icing glaze (optional)
- Jumbo hearts sprinkles optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare 24 cavity bite-sized heart dessert shell pans with a cake release spray coating.
- In large bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In large bowl, beat butter and sugar with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla extract; beat until well combined. Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk in three additions, beating until just combined. Spoon one tablespoon batter into each pan cavity.
- Bake 9-11 minutes or until tops of cakes spring back when touched. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Cool completely on cooling grid.
- To decorate, place cakes on cooling grid with cookie pan below. Pipe 1/2 teaspoon peanut butter, chocolate fudge or cherry pie filling into shell; fill only to top of cavity. If desired, warm glaze according to package instructions; carefully pour and tap pan to smooth.