If the way to your loved one’s heart is through the stomach, there’s no better way to start off this Valentine’s Day than with a homemade breakfast prepared with love.
Find more recipes you’ll love to share with your nearest and dearest this Valentine’s Day at culinary.net.
Cocoa-Kissed Red Velvet Pancakes
- heart-shaped pancake cutters or cookie cutters (optional)
- 1 Cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 Cup granulated sugar
- 3 Tablespoons Nestlé Toll House with Baking Cocoa
- 1 Teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 Cup reduced-fat buttermilk or low-fat milk
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 1½ Teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Teaspoon red food coloring
- butter, for garnish (optional)
- powdered sugar, for garnish (optional)
- maple syrup, for garnish (optional)
- fresh berries, for garnish (optional)
- In large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt; stir well. In separate large bowl, whisk together egg, buttermilk, unsalted butter, vanilla extract and food coloring. Add to flour mixture; stir to combine. Allow mixture to sit 5 minutes.
- Heat nonstick skillet or griddle over medium heat. Brush with oil or butter. Add about 1/4 cup batter to skillet. Cook about 2 minutes, or until bubbles start to form on top. Flip and cook 1-2 minutes, or until bottom is lightly browned. Serve immediately with butter, powdered sugar, syrup and berries, if desired.
- Tip: If using pancake or cookie cutters, be sure to coat with oil so pancakes don’t stick. Place cutters in skillet and pour batter into cutters. Remove cutters before flipping.